Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Book Review: Collision of Dreams by George Dalton



Collision of Dreams is a western set in the 1800s.  The book's hero, Sam, begins the story by saving a woman from being manhandled in town by a member of ruthless killers.  Sam falls instantly in love.  He finds out her name Mattie Ann Carville and gets offered a job to work for her dad on his ranch.  Sam eventually ventures out, acquiring his own land with plans of building a cattle ranch and marrying Mattie Ann.  He meets many friends and some enemies who try to kill him.  His bravery and common sense always find a way out.  
Throughout the book, many adventures happen to Sam, his true love, and the other characters he encounters.  I won't spoil the ending, but it's a happy one.

My Review: I never read a western before and decided to give it a try.  I met George in a book store while he was doing a book signing.  He looked like someone who knew a thing or two of the wild west.  I, on the other hand, pretty much knew nothing.  After reading the book, I learned a little bit about Indians, warpaths, breaking horses, and raising and branding cattle.  I enjoyed his dialect for different characters and loved the western style of talking (he kilt a man, is a fixin, etc.).  The story moved along at a nice pace and it was clear and easy to read.  George knew when to insert history into the story.  I recommend it to anyone who likes westerns or is willing to give them a try.  Great book! 5/5 Stars.

No comments:

Review of Universal Studios and Fright Night

Last October, I went to Universal Studios (Hollywood) and Fright Night with my two young adult daughters. Below is a summary and review of t...